Skip to Content

Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) requirements


After discussing the Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP) course, we move forward to the other requirement of getting your Motorcycle License in Michigan. 


In the article Do You Need a Motorcycle License in Michigan? We discussed that a person can obtain a motorcycle Temporary Instruction Permit (CY TIP) through the Secretary of State’s office, practice riding with an experienced motorcyclist for six months, and then pass a rider skills test offered by an approved driver testing business.

To obtain a temporary motorcycle instruction permit, an individual must be at least 16 years old. Individuals 16 or 17 must show proof of enrollment in a motorcycle rider safety training course and have a parent’s signature on their application. 

Individuals must also hold a valid Michigan driver’s license, pass a vision test and a motorcycle written knowledge test, and pay a temporary license fee. Individuals with a temporary license cannot write at night or carry any passengers, and they must be under constant visual supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator who is at least 18 years of age.

Michigan law specifies that a person cannot be issued more than two temporary motorcycle permits within 10 years.


You can use your motorcycle Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) for a period of up to 180 days. According to the law, during the 180 days, you can do the following:

You must practice riding with a licensed motorcycle operator who is at least 18 years old. 

The best way to learn is to practice. You can do so with an individual who is already licensed to practice and operate a motor vehicle.

You cannot ride at night. 

You cannot practice at night. This is to ensure the health and safety of the practice as well as of every other person who may be at risk while you are practicing and learning.

You are prohibited from carrying passengers. 

The only passenger that you are allowed to carry is the licensed motorcycle operator but he may also be required to bring his motorcycle.

If you are age 16 or 17, you must show proof of enrollment in a motorcycle rider safety training course. A parent’s signature is required for a minor (under age 18) to obtain a motorcycle TIP unless the applicant is an emancipated minor. 

Get that Motorcycle License

Now that you know some facts about getting a license in the State of Michigan, it is time to get down to it. If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights to your property, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a lawyer to help you during your motorcycle accident proceedings, call us immediately. Let us help you set things right.

The post Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) requirements appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy