Skip to Content

What is a Domestic Relations Order in Michigan?


As defined by the State of Michigan, a Domestic Relations Order (DRO) is filed by the spouses. 

Typically, the spouse’s file with a retirement system provides for the division of a pension as a marital asset and/or the removal of a survivor option from a pension that is already in pay status. ORS provides two different DROs for your use: Domestic Relations Order (R323X) is to be used for dividing a pension and may include voiding a survivor option. 

Generally, a DRO is different from an Eligible Domestic Relations Order (EDRO) which applies only to orders filed with the retirement system before the retirement effective date of the individual. It is only when a retirement system member divorces and the parties agree that the pension will be divided that an Eligible Domestic Relations Order (EDRO) must be filed with the retirement system.

What are the Domestic Relations Order Options?

The Domestic Relations Order options are the following:

  • You may assign a percentage or a specific dollar amount of the retirant’s pension to the former spouse. Any payments to the former spouse will be effective the first day of the month following ORS’ receipt of an acceptable DRO. Retroactive pension adjustments will not be made.
  • If at the time of retirement, the retiree elected to receive their retirement allowance in the form of a survivor option and designated the former spouse as a beneficiary, the DRO may void the survivor option elected (50%, 75%, or 100%). If the survivor option is voided, the retirant’s retirement allowance will revert to the straight life option. 

Note: Although the retiree may be entitled to receive the retirement allowance in the form of a straight life benefit, a portion of that straight life benefit may still be assigned to the former spouse under the DRO.

There is more to discuss the DROs. If you need urgent help with it, our Southfield family lawyer is here to help.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases on family law, custody battles, and parenting. We can help you fight for your rights and work your way around getting that parenting time that you deserve. Haque Legal is here. You can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your divorce or custody case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your divorce or custody case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield family lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

The post <strong>What is a Domestic Relations Order in Michigan?</strong> appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy