Skip to Content

Michigan Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MI-REP)


In the article Do You Need a Motorcycle License in Michigan? We discussed the training courses that you need to finish before getting a motorcycle license. 


In the section, What Are The Training Courses Needed? We discussed the following:

The state of Michigan offers two options for individuals wanting to obtain a motorcycle endorsement.

  • A person can complete a Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP) course
  • A person can obtain a motorcycle Temporary Instruction Permit (CY TIP) through the Secretary of State’s office, practice their riding with an experienced motorcyclist for six months, and then pass a rider skills test offered by an approved driver testing business.

To obtain a temporary motorcycle instruction permit, an individual must be at least 16 years old. Individuals 16 or 17 must show proof of enrollment in a motorcycle rider safety training course and have a parent’s signature on their application. Individuals must also hold a valid Michigan driver’s license, pass a vision test and a motorcycle written knowledge test, and pay a temporary license fee. Individuals with a temporary license cannot write at night or carry any passengers, and they must be under constant visual supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator who is at least 18 years of age.

Michigan law specifies that a person cannot be issued more than two temporary motorcycle permits within 10 years.

image of someone riding a motorcycle

Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP) course

The Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP) course is made of 4 courses that the applicant may take to get access to a motorcycle license in Michigan. According to the Michigan government website, the following are the courses that would properly educate a rider:

  • The Basic Rider Course (BRC) is for the novice rider and covers the fundamentals of operating a motorcycle. Successful completion will allow riders to obtain a motorcycle endorsement.
  • The Returning Rider-Basic Rider Course (RRBRC) is a one-day waiver class for motorcyclists with some riding experience who want to brush up on their skills or who want to obtain their motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s license.
  • The Basic Rider Course 2 (BRC2) is a one-day waiver class for motorcyclists with riding experience who want to brush up on their skills and obtain their motorcycle endorsement.
  • The Advanced Rider Course (ARC) is for experienced, endorsed riders looking to improve their skills, including swerving, turning, and quick stops. Motorcycling organizations may require this course before participants can register for group rides. The ARC is for riders with a CY endorsement already on their license.

How much is the MI-REP Course?

The MIREP course can be taken in either a public institution or a private institution. For those with public sponsors, the fee is $50 while individuals who are looking for private sponsors must ensure that the institution is accredited before taking the course.

What should you bring when you participate in an MI-REP Course?

You must bring the following items to participate in a course:

  • Department of Transportation (DOT) compliant or Snell-approved helmet (required)
  • Eye protection (e.g. goggles or glasses) – (required, even with a face shield helmet)
  • Boots with a hard sole that cover your ankles (required – high heels and high-top tennis shoes are not permitted)
  • Long sleeve jacket or heavy long sleeve shirt
  • Heavy duty long pants
  • Full-fingered gloves
  • Rain and cold weather gear, as needed
  • Pencil or pen

If you will be taking a Basic Rider Course (BRC), this would include a training motorcycle (under 500cc) that is provided by the course sponsor. If you are taking other cases, you should provide your road-worthy motorcycle properly registered and insured. 

You may have other questions, and our personal injury attorneys in Southfield would be glad to provide you with answers. The succeeding articles would answer some basic questions about the MI-REP course that you may be too shy to ask.

Get that Motorcycle License

Now that you know some facts about getting a license in the State of Michigan, it is time to get down to it. If you require a Southfield motorcycle accident lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights to your property, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a lawyer to help you during your motorcycle accident proceedings, call us immediately. Let us help you set things right.

The post Michigan Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MI-REP) appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy