Skip to Content

Driving Licenses in Michigan


Here at Haque Legal, we have created this article mainly to provide you with information on definitions of the different kinds of driving licenses in Michigan.

Let us begin.

Operator’s license

The operator’s license is the most basic Michigan driver’s license.

Chauffeur’s license

A chauffeur’s license is required if you are employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more, operating a motor vehicle as a carrier of passengers or as a common or contract carrier of property, or operating a bus or a school bus. You must pass the written chauffeur’s test. A commercial driver’s license also may be required, depending on the vehicle type or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

Commercial driver’s license

A commercial driver’s license is required if you are operating a single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, operating a combination vehicle towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR)is 26,001 pounds or more, operating a vehicle designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver), or carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding. 

Written knowledge tests and road tests are required. Group A, Group B and Group C designators, and endorsements T, P, N, H, X and S will be required depending on the type of commercial vehicle operated. Before you can operate commercial motor vehicles, you must be at least age 18, have been suspension free for 36 months before the date of application and have the appropriate Michigan CDL group designation on your driver’s license. Drivers between ages 18 and 21 can operate a commercial vehicle only in Michigan.

You must be at least age 21 to drive a vehicle across state lines or to transport hazardous materials in amounts that require placarding. Requirements for testing and obtaining a CDL are available at, including a PDF of the “Michigan Commercial Driver License Manual.” 

Enhanced driver’s license

The enhanced driver’s license is a unique driver’s license that allows you to re-enter the United States by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean without the need to present any additional identity documents. Enhanced licenses and state IDs are also REAL ID compliant.

Graduated driver’s license

Level 1 Learner’s, Level 2 Intermediate and Level 3 Full licenses are issued as part of Michigan’s driver education program for teens under age 18.

Moped license

A valid operator or chauffeur’s license may be used to operate a moped on Michigan roads. You are not eligible for a moped license if your operator or chauffeur’s license is suspended, revoked or denied. Unlicensed teens age 15 or older with parental approval may apply for a moped license at a Secretary of State office. Vision, written knowledge and traffic sign tests will be given.

Motorcycle endorsement

A motorcycle endorsement (CY) is required to operate a motorcycle on Michigan roads. Successful completion of a motorcycle rider education course or the written knowledge test and motorcycle skills test is required. A motorcycle rider education course is required for teens ages 16-17 and for adults who fail the motorcycle skills test twice.

Recreational double”R” endorsement

The recreational double R endorsement is required for a pickup truck pulling a fifth-wheel trailer designed for recreational living purposes, with a second trailer attached to the rear of the fifth-wheel trailer. A knowledge test is required.

Farmer endorsement

A farmer endorsement is a specialized endorsement used by farming operations to move equipment, livestock and produce. A general knowledge test and a combination vehicles’ test may be required. 

The above information is lifted from the Michigan driver handbook to prevent misinterpretation and the spread of misinformation. 

After all, definitions are meant to stay a certain way as they are defined by law.

Were you pulled over in Michigan?

Now that you know some facts about getting traffic tickets in the State of Michigan, it is time to get down to it. If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights to your property, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a lawyer to help you during your traffic ticket proceedings, call us immediately. Let us help you set things right.

The post Driving Licenses in Michigan appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy