Skip to Content

I raised a child who is not mine, can I sue?


One of the fears that we all have is raising a family, loving a child, and then finding out that the child is not yours in the first place. 

In this article, we try to dive into a very emotional topic: what if you raised a child who is not yours? What are your rights?

Right to Sue

If you were made to believe that you are the father of the child, and later on discover that you are not the father of the child, you may be able to sue the mother. 

You have all of the right to sue the mother for the emotional trauma and the financial gain that the mother and the child enjoyed by making you believe that the child is yours. 

Of course, with the right to sue comes the responsibility to prove the elements of the suit. You have to prove that the mother knows that the child is not yours and that the mother knowingly misled you into believing that the child is yours.

It is the fraud and deception that makes the case.

Right to Continue Being the Father

If legally you are the father of the child, you are the father of the child. You can still choose to love that child and give the child a great future. However, your right to sue and your right to continue being the father of the child may be mutually exclusive. 

With that in mind, make sure that you get the help of the best Southfield paternity lawyer through Haque Legal.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases on family law, custody battles, and parenting. We can help you fight for your rights and work your way around getting that parenting time that you deserve. Haque Legal is here. You can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your divorce or custody case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your divorce or custody case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield family lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy