Skip to Content

Questions Some Potential Fathers May Be Too Timid To Ask Their Lawyers


Potential fathers often ask about their rights and obligations. We have handled numerous clients who have questions about what they should expect should they have to deal with confirmed paternity. 

In this article, we answer some of the common questions that individuals often have about being acknowledged as a father of a child. Let us begin. 

If I am the father after confirmation, what can the mother do?

Generally, the mother of your child may ask for child support. If paternity is established, the father is legally required to provide child support. The father will get visitation rights and they can also seek custody of the child.

Once the paternity of the child is established, and you refuse to pay for child support, there are enforcement measures that the mother of your child can take. 

There are a lot of ways that the State of Michigan can go after fathers who fail to give child support and you should make sure that you would not get any of the penalties. The State will help the mother of the child, through any means necessary.

What are the ways that the State will go after me if I fail to pay child support?

If you fail to pay child support, the State can go after you through your records. Since they have access to your records and government information, there is no workaround and you would have to do your best to pay child support as much as you can.

The State can obtain information from you through your social security number, your employment records, the DMC searches, as well as any other way available.

Once informed, the Court may garnish your property, get a portion of your wages, and even send you to jail if they find out that you are not paying child support.

What if I cannot afford to file a lawsuit for paternity?

In some instances, you may not be able to afford to file a lawsuit for paternity. Fees are required to bring a paternity suit and that can be costly. There is the cost of legal representation, which is the amount you pay for the lawyers to represent you. You also have to pay for the paternity tests as well as any other processes necessary.

In the State of Michigan, there are some instances where the father may sue for paternity at the expense of the State. If you want to know if you are eligible for help from the State, you can contact your local government.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases on family law, custody battles, and parenting. We can help you fight for your rights and work your way around getting that parenting time that you deserve. Haque Legal is here. You can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your divorce or custody case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your divorce or custody case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield family lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy