Skip to Content

Do You Have To Report A Minor Car Accident In Michigan?


Getting into a vehicle accident can be a confusing experience, particularly when it comes to reporting the incident. However, everyone in this state should be aware of the vehicle accident reporting requirements in place under Michigan law. Failing to properly report a vehicle accident, even a minor one, could lead to significant criminal and civil liability issues. Here, we want to review Michigan car accident reporting requirements.

Accident Reporting Requirements in Michigan

It is crucial to understand the exact reporting requirements for a vehicle accident in Michigan. In this state, drivers must report the incident to government authorities in the event that the crash leads to injury or death for any person involved or if the incident causes more than $1,000 in property damage. Additionally, the law states that a parked vehicle collision must be reported if the owner cannot be immediately contacted.

The question of whether or not a minor accident should be reported is one that comes up regularly. There are often times when very minor incidents, such as a fender bump or a dooring incident, occur. When a minor collision occurs, and it is clear that the reporting requirements have not been met, it is often okay for drivers to simply exchange insurance information and handle the matter without a formal report.

However, we always advise individuals to err on the side of caution when it comes to reporting an accident. In many cases, even a relatively minor incident could trigger the reporting requirement. What individuals often do not understand is that even if they see no property damage, there could be damage to the frame of a vehicle that leads to significant property damage expenses that rise above the threshold.

Additionally, there are times when individuals sustain unseen injuries that do not appear until hours or days after the collision, even after a relatively minor collision. It is also not out of the realm of possibility for others involved in the incident to decide to file an injury or property damage claim even after both parties mutually decided that the incident needed no further attention.

Without an accident report, it can be very challenging to move forward with a case. It is always in the best interest of those involved to call the police after the incident and let them make a decision about how to move forward. An officer can come to the scene, conduct a preliminary investigation, and fill out an accident report that is turned over to appropriate authorities.

Do You Need to Call an Attorney for Help?

If you or somebody you care about has been involved in a vehicle accident and are not quite sure where to turn or what your next steps should be, we encourage you to reach out to a Southfield accident attorney for a free consultation. You may be able to recover more compensation than you are aware of, and we want to help you determine the best steps forward for your particular situation. It is crucial for you to recover compensation for any injury or property damage expenses experienced caused by the actions of another party.

The post Do You Have To Report A Minor Car Accident In Michigan? appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy