SOUTHFIELD DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ATTORNEY
A domestic violence charge can have huge implications for your personal and professional life. If you are facing a domestic violence charge, contact Haque Legal for assistance. Our attorneys will defend those who have been accused of domestic violence. You shouldn’t have to face charges like this on your own. Call us today and one of our skilled Southfield domestic violence lawyers will walk you through your options.
Why Hire A Domestic Violence Attorney From Haque Legal?
- We have years of experience defending our clients against domestic violence charges and other Southfield criminal defense cases.
- We are always in your corner, until the very end.
- We take a team approach to litigation, so you’ll always have more than one attorney working on your case.
You can rest easy knowing that Haque Legal uses a time-effective and team-oriented approach, meaning our experienced legal team collaborates together on your case, providing you with the legal help your particular case needs.
$1,300,000 Insurance Benefits
The client lost control of their vehicle and crashed into a tree. As a result, they suffered a traumatic brain injury, herniated discs, lost wages, attendant care, replacement services, and ongoing case management.
$1,000,000 Personal Injury
The client suffered a brain injury, spinal disc injuries requiring surgery, knee replacement, severe and permanent disfigurement.
$650,000 Car Accident
A hit-and-run driver rear-ended the client. The client needed two spinal surgeries, post-operative physical therapy, injections, lost wages, and attendant care.
WHAT ARE SOME FORMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?
Michigan has two categories of domestic violence charges: domestic assault and aggravated domestic assault.
- Domestic assault carries with it a variety of penalties:
- First Offense – For your first offense, you will likely receive a misdemeanor, up to 93 days of jail, and/or a fine of up to $500.
- Second Offense – The second offense is also a misdemeanor, but you could face up to 1 year in jail, and/or a fine of up to $1,000
- Third Offense – The third offense is a felony, with up to 5 years in prison, and/or up-to a $5,000 fine.
- Aggravated domestic assault can be charged when the victim allegedly suffers serious or aggravated injuries.
Reach out to us to schedule your free, confidential consultation and get more information.
CAN YOUR CASE GET DROPPED IF THE ALLEGED VICTIM RECANTS?
No, once the prosecutor initiates charges, the process is in motion. No matter what the alleged victim says, the prosecution will most likely go forward in prosecuting you.
Do Officers Need A Warrant For Your Arrest?
Not in Michigan for domestic violence allegations. All the officer needs is reasonable suspicion to believe the domestic violence occurred in order to arrest you. The help of a skilled domestic violence attorney can help you combat these charges.
CAN THE PROSECUTOR ADD MORE PENALTIES?
A prosecutor, depending on the circumstances, can charge you with additional felonies in combination with a domestic violence charge. Typically, we see:
- Weapons charges
- Intent to inflict great bodily harm
Each of these felonies carries an additional jail sentence of four to ten years in prison.
TYPES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CHARGES IN MICHIGAN
Under Michigan law, domestic violence is couched in the assault and battery statutes. Therefore, assault and battery underpin the court’s understanding of domestic violence charges are:
- Assault is the intentional illegal act that caused another to reasonably fear an immediate battery.
- Assault and Battery is the intentional, forceful, violent, or offensive touching, however slight or minor, of another, or something closely connected with the person of another.
The way that domestic violence differs from assault and assault and battery is the parties involved. Michigan law defines domestic violence as assault and assault and battery by a:
- Former spouse
- A person with a child in common with the victim
- Head of the victim’s household
- A person with whom the victim had a dating relationship
WE LOVE OUR CLIENTS
In every case, we take on, our priority is always to exceed your needs and expectations. We look at the big picture, so we can achieve the highest level of client satisfaction and client results possible.
Because we choose to work as a team, our clients benefit from our deep-rooted connections within the community and the strength of our networking power.
We are committed to the community that we serve and are always finding new ways to get involved and partner with nonprofits within Michigan.
CONTACT A SOUTHFIELD DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LAWYER AT HAQUE LEGAL
Domestic violence comes with serious consequences like fines, jail time, even the loss of your job. At Haque Legal, our Southfield weapons charges lawyers and other skilled professionals will walk you through every step of the process and advocate vigorously to clear your name.