SOUTHFIELD DOG BITE ATTORNEY
Have you been bitten by a dog that’s not your own? Are you now experiencing a whole host of medical issues and lost wages from being in and out of doctor’s offices? We can help. Dog bite cases can be tricky because they can come with a variety of medical problems and therefore expensive medical bills. Luckily, a Southfield dog bite lawyer at Haque Legal can help you recover financially from the careless or negligent dog owner.
Why Choose A Dog Bite Attorney From Haque Legal?
- Our Southfield personal injury lawyers work as a team to get you your desired legal result.
- Our attorneys are skilled in settlement negotiations.
- We have years of experience in the Michigan Court System; we know what it takes to win your case.
Our Southfield injury law attorneys will fiercely advocate on your behalf in court if necessary. You can rest easy knowing that Haque Legal uses a time-effective and team-oriented approach, meaning our experienced personal injury lawyers collaborate together on your case, providing you with the legal help your particular case needs.
What Is Strict Liability In A Dog Bite Case?
In Michigan, strict liability refers to someone being directly responsible for the harm of another individual and often applies to dog bite claims. For example, when you are bit by a dog and you are on public property or lawfully on private property, the dog owner is responsible for any damages you suffer. However, here is one caveat – if you are trespassing on private property, then the dog owner will not be liable for damages you sustain from a dog bite injury. Additionally, if the dog is provoked then strict liability does not apply. These are defenses that the opposing party will likely present in order to limit your settlement amount or damage award. Luckily, the Southfield dog bite lawyers from Haque Legal are here to help, no matter the circumstances.
$1,300,000 Insurance Benefits
The client lost control of their vehicle and crashed into a tree. As a result, they suffered a traumatic brain injury, herniated discs, lost wages, attendant care, replacement services, and ongoing case management.
$1,000,000 Personal Injury
The client suffered a brain injury, spinal disc injuries requiring surgery, knee replacement, severe and permanent disfigurement.
$650,000 Car Accident
A hit-and-run driver rear-ended the client. The client needed two spinal surgeries, post-operative physical therapy, injections, lost wages, and attendant care.
WHAT ARE POSSIBLE DEFENSES TO THE STRICT LIABILITY CLAIM?
The dog owner will do anything they can to get out of the strict liability realm. They will try to present evidence that:
- You were trespassing on their property
- You provoked their dog to bite you
These two defenses, if successfully proved, will take the dog owner out of strict liability and curtail your ability to seek damages.
A skilled dog bite attorney can combat those defenses with ease. We will:
- Gather evidence to present that you were lawfully on the property
- Gather evidence to present that you did not provoke the dog to bite you
- Recreate the attack scene
- Gather witness statements
- Compile your medical documents
- Handle all negotiations with opposing counsel
- Manage the court schedule
With a Southfield dog bite lawyer from Haque Legal on your side, the likelihood of a high settlement amount or damage award increases.
Reach out to us to schedule your free, confidential consultation and get more information.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF DOG BITE INJURIES?
Dog bites can morph into serious injuries if you don’t seek medical attention. Some of the long-lasting damage can include:
- Nerve damage
- Loss of a limb
- Infections that can spread to other areas of your body
- Long-lasting psychological and emotional trauma
- Muscle or joint pain
In some cases, severe dog bites and attacks can even result in the death of a loved one. If this has happened reach out to a wrongful death attorney in Southfield for your case.
What Are The Common Causes Of Dog Bites?
Dogs usually bite when they are afraid or feel threatened. The most common causes of dog bites we see are:
- The dog is threatened
- The dog is too excited
- The dog is protective
- The dog is stressed
- The dog is abused or neglected
ARE SOME DOGS MORE LIKELY TO BITE THAN OTHERS?
Dog behavior can also be breed-specific. The dogs most commonly known to bite someone are:
- German shepherds
- Small dogs like chihuahuas
- Heeling dogs like shepherds or heelers
How To Avoid Dog Bites Altogether
In 2016, Michigan ranked number 8 for dog bites. We have compiled some tips to help you stay clear of dog bites altogether.
- Avoid off-leash areas
- Be alert and aware of where the dog is
- Don’t approach the dog; let the dog come to you
- Don’t reach out for the dog; let the dog smell your hand and get familiar with you
- Don’t make sudden movements in the dog’s direction
- Ask the owner of the dog is friendly and if you can pet the dog
- Avoid touching the dog’s head or chest when playing with the dog
HOW CAN A SOUTHFIELD DOG BITE LAWYER HELP?
Thankfully, if you are wrongly bitten, a skilled Southfield injury attorney that specializes in dog bites can help you recover financially from the dog owner and combat any defenses they may raise. There are multiple ways to recover from a dog bite injury:
Through homeowners or renters insurance
Dog bites are covered under homeowners’ and renters’ insurance. A dog bite attorney can help you file a claim and negotiate with the homeowner’s or renter’s insurance. Even still, the insurance will only pay out up to the limits of the insurance policy. We can help you recoup damages in state court.
Through litigation in a Michigan state court
WHAT’S THE ONE-BITE RULE?
Some states allow dog owners one or two bites before they can be held liable for damages. However, in Michigan, that’s not the case. The dog’s owners are held liable for the first bite with few exceptions. They are then barred from claiming that they didn’t know the dog would bite someone.
What Are The Steps To Take Following A Dog Bite?
- Separate yourself from the dog: If you can remove yourself from the situation, that is the best course of action.
- Gather the contact details of the dog owner: You will need their contact information to file a claim and talk about the next steps.
- Verify that the dog has a rabies shot: If the dog hasn’t had a rabies shot, you may need one.
- Contact animal control or file a police report: Dog bites should be reported to the authorities in order to build a record of the dog’s behavior.
- Go to the emergency room or urgent care: You’ll need medical records to file a claim for damages.
- File a claim with the homeowner or renters insurance company: This is the first step in seeking financial compensation from the at-fault party.
WE LOVE OUR CLIENTS
In every case, we take on, our priority is always to exceed your needs and expectations. We look at the big picture, so we can achieve the highest level of client satisfaction and client results possible.
Because we choose to work as a team, our clients benefit from our deep-rooted connections within the community and the strength of our networking power.
We are committed to the community that we serve and are always finding new ways to get involved and partner with nonprofits within Michigan.
CONTACT A SOUTHFIELD DOG BITE LAWYER AT HAQUE LEGAL
If you’ve been bitten by a dog, Haque Legal is here to help. We have over six years of litigation experience and have spent thousands of hours in and out of the courtroom fighting for financial compensation for dog bite victims. Our attorneys work diligently to make sure that you receive the settlement amount you deserve.