Skip to Content

What Should You Expect After Adoption in Michigan?


After the process of adoption in Michigan, you must know the process that you will go through with the child. If you went through the process of intercountry adoption, you will go through the process of obtaining citizenship in Michigan. 

In this article, let us discuss what you should expect after adoption in Michigan.

What is the law that applies in this case?

In the case of obtaining citizenship for your adopted child, you should keep in mind that Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act applies. 

Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA 320) provides that children acquire U.S. citizenship if they satisfy certain requirements before age 18 which include:

  • Have at least one U.S. citizen parent by birth or naturalization
  • Be admitted to the United States as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence
  • After admission to the United States, reside in the country in the legal and physical custody of a U.S. citizen parent
  • If the child is adopted, his or her adoption must be full and final so that the adoption process is legally complete and fully recognized by the U.S. state where the child is residing.

US Citizens Residing Outside the US

For those who are residing outside the United States, your child may apply for a certificate of citizenship through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) under Section 322 of INA 322 and take an oath of naturalization to complete the child’s citizenship acquisition. This includes children of U.S. government employees and members of the armed forces who live abroad with parents stationed outside of the United States. 

To acquire U.S. citizenship under INA 322, you must demonstrate to USCIS your child meets certain requirements before age 18 which include:

  • Have at least one U.S. citizen parent by birth or naturalization
  • Have a U.S. citizen parent who has been physically present in the United States for a total of at least five years, at least two of which are after age 14. If the child’s U.S. citizen parent cannot meet the physical presence requirement, one of the child’s U.S. citizen grandparents must meet it.
  • The child lives abroad in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent and is temporarily present in the U.S. according to a lawful admission and is maintaining that lawful status.

This information is provided by the USCIS on its website.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases of immigration. We can help you get your visa and work your way around getting that citizenship that you deserve. Haque Legal is here and you can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your immigration case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your immigration and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy