Skip to Content

Two Common Questions About The K1 Visa in the United States

Using the K1 visa in the United States is one of the ways to prove the country’s support for love. This article addresses two common questions about the K1 visa in the United States.

What if we break up, and I am on a fiancé visa in the United States?

If you are on a K-1 visa in the US and your fiancé breaks up before marriage, this could have severe ramifications for both of your immigration statuses. Here are the steps that need to be taken:

1. Notify USCIS: If your relationship ends before getting married, notify the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Do so by filing a written statement detailing what caused it and your decision to withdraw the petition for visa reapplication.

2. Withdraw Your Petition: If your fiancé was the petitioner for your K-1 visa application, they must officially withdraw it by filing an official request with USCIS explaining why and providing as many reasons as possible.

3. Seek Legal Advice: For best results in your situation and advice tailored specifically for you from an immigration law perspective, consult an immigration attorney. They can offer guidance regarding rights and options related to immigration law that might otherwise go undetected by you.

4. Maintain Legal Status: While your K-1 visa was intended for marriage purposes, breaking up won't automatically invalidate it. Keeping legal status in the U.S. can help avoid potential immigration consequences, so if it expires soon, you may need to explore options to stay legally within its borders.

5. Investigate Alternative Immigration Options: Depending on your circumstances, other immigration options could be open to you. These include applying for different visas, such as student or work visas, and exploring avenues toward permanent residency through family sponsorship or employment agreements.

6. Consider the Two-Year Rule: If you enter the United States on a K-1 visa and marry your fiancé within two years of acquiring conditional permanent resident status, your conditional residency could become conditional permanent resident status unless certain rules are observed to remove conditions on residency (e.g., divorce/annulment, etc.). Under some conditions, you could still qualify for this waiver even though your marriage ended prematurely.

7. Stay Informed: Stay abreast of changes to immigration policies and regulations that might affect your status. USCIS regularly issues updated guidelines; being well-informed allows for informed decisions regarding managing immigration statuses.

Dividing while still on a fiancé visa can be emotionally and logistically exhausting. However, taking swift and necessary action to protect your immigration status should you decide to part ways can provide invaluable relief and peace of mind during this trying time. Seeking counsel from an experienced immigration attorney could be invaluable support during such trying circumstances.

Can we get married in my home country and still use the K1 visa to enter the United States?

Yes, it is possible to marry in your home country and still use the K-1 visa to enter the US; however, specific key considerations need to be kept in mind in doing so:

1. Timing: To obtain a K-1 visa in time, marriage should occur before its issuance in your home country within its six-month validity period from the issuance date. Ensure your wedding plans can accommodate this timeline by planning the celebration accordingly.

2. Intent: When applying for a K-1 visa, you must demonstrate your intentions to marry within 90 days of entering the United States. Getting married outside the U.S. could create suspicion around your intentions to marry there. Provide evidence, such as wedding invitations or venue booking confirmation letters, that clearly demonstrates these plans.

3. Legal Requirements: It is imperative that you comply with all legal requirements for marriage in your home country prior to initiating any ceremony, whether this means getting marriage licenses, attending pre-marital counseling sessions, and/or meeting any residency/wait period requirements. Failure to fulfill such regulations could invalidate your wedding ceremony and jeopardize your eligibility for K-1 visas.

4. Immigration Documents: Once married in your home country, immigration documentation will need to be prepared in order to enter the U.S. as the spouse of a U.S. citizen. A K-1 spousal visa specifically addresses individuals intending on marrying within 90 days after entering; should your wedding take place before this happening then appropriate spouse immigration processes need to be followed in accordance with U.S. immigration rules for spouses.

5. Consult an Immigration Attorney: Immigration laws and procedures can be complex, making successful navigation essential. Seek guidance from an experienced immigration attorney, who will tailor advice based on your unique circumstances to provide tailored guidance suited for your unique case—for instance, helping to assess potential consequences arising from getting married before using a K-1 visa.

Though you are allowed to marry outside your country and still use a K-1 visa for entry to the United States, careful consideration must be given to your timing, intent, and legal requirements to ensure an easy immigration process.



Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy