Skip to Content

Commonly Asked Questions Relating To B-1 and B-2 US Visa Category


You may have a couple of questions about the B-1 and B-2 US Visa category. In this article, we will discuss and answer some of your common questions.

How do I apply for a B-1 or B-2 Visa?

To apply for a B-1 and B-2 visa, you need to follow the steps depending on the specific US Embassy or Consulate that you are in. It is best to consult the US embassy in your country of origin or in the country where you live. 

With the current Covid-19 restrictions, you can apply for a US Visa through an online application. Simply complete the online visa application and print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview. 

Make sure that you follow the requirement list and you can schedule an interview if you are required to take it.

Can I schedule my appointment at the United States Embassy in another country?

You may try to schedule your US Visa application even if you are in another country but keep in mind that it may be difficult to qualify for a visa when you are outside of the country where you live.

Will there be any additional requirements?

There may be additional requirements that are required of you. The following are the things that you need to prove and prepare:

  • The purpose of your trip – for a B-1 or B-2 category US Visa, the purpose of the trip is important. Not every person who claims to go on tour would be allowed entry in the United States. The purpose of the trip must be proven through the submission of additional requirements.
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip – the B-1 and B-2 VISA category is actually a visitor visa. It is a non-migrant and tourist visa that requires the bearer to depart the United States after the trip or the conclusion of the activity applied for. Keep in mind that if you have an intent to enter the United States under this Visa, you should also prove that you will depart from the United States after your trip.
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip. – you must also prove that you have the ability to pay all of the costs of the trip. The trip that you take is a tourism trip or a business trip . You must prove that you, or your sponsoring agency or convention organizers or any other important individual who invited you, have the ability to pay for all of the costs that are associated with the trip that you will take in the United States.
  • Evidence of your employment – if you are gainfully employed in your country of origin, you need to prove that you are indeed employed. This is to show that you have no intention of being an illegal migrant in the United States. You must show your intent to return to your home country after the conclusion of your tour or of the project that you are planning on doing. 
  • Family ties – if you are using the category to visit relatives or family members in the United States, you must show your ties to the family. The Visa applicant must show that they have ties in the United States but also that they have ties to their country of origin for their expected return. 

What document shows proof of sponsorship?

A letter of invitation or an affidavit of support should be enough for you to show proof that you have someone who can cover the costs of your trip or show proof of the purpose of your trip. Remember that it is not one of the factors that you can use in determining whether you will be approved to get the visa or not.

Does the VISA mean that I can enter the United States freely at any time?

No, the granting of the VISA does not mean free entry to the United States. Depending on the kind of B-1 or B-2 visa that you have been granted, your entry to the United States is still limited. The VISA does not guarantee entry into the United States, keep this in mind. 

It is still the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States.

Once you are allowed entry into the United States under this VISA, or any VISA, any CBP official will provide an admission stamp or a paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases on immigration. We can help you get your visa and work your way around getting that citizenship that you deserve. Haque Legal is here and you can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation we tell you everything that you need to know about your immigration case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your immigration and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

The post Commonly Asked Questions Relating To B-1 and B-2 US Visa Category appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy