Skip to Content

Fiancé and Family Visa in Michigan


Michigan is home to many immigrants. Suppose you are a foreign national who wishes to join your fiancé or family member in Michigan. In that case, you may be eligible for two types of visas – the fiancé visa and the family visa. 

In this article, we talk about what you need to know about these visas and their eligibility requirements.

Fiancé Visa

A Fiancé visa is also known as a K-1 visa. 

It is a kind of nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign national to enter the United States to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé. To be eligible for a fiancé visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You and your fiancé must intend to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.
  • You and your fiancé must have met in person within the past two years.
  • You must be legally eligible to marry under the state’s laws where the marriage will take place.
  • You must not have any criminal history or be a security risk to the United States.

Once you receive a fiancé visa, you must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé within 90 days of your arrival in the United States. After the marriage, you can apply for an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident.

Family Visa

If you have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder), they may be able to sponsor you for a family visa. There are several types of family visas, including:

Immediate Relative (IR) visas

For spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21 of U.S. citizens.

Family Preference (F) visas

For other family members of U.S. citizens and green card holders, including unmarried children over 21, married children, and siblings.

To be eligible for a family visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a qualifying relationship with a U.S. citizen or green card holder.
  • Your sponsor must prove they have enough income or assets to support you financially.
  • You must not have any criminal history or be a security risk to the United States.

The timeline for obtaining a family visa can vary depending on the type of visa and your country of origin. Immediate Relative visas are generally processed faster than Family Preference visas and some countries have longer wait times than others.

In general, the process for obtaining a family visa involves the following steps:

  • Your sponsor files a petition on your behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • If the petition is approved, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing.
  • The NVC will collect your biographic information and conduct a security check.
  • Once your case is complete, the NVC will schedule an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country of origin.
  • If your visa is approved, you can travel to the United States and become a permanent resident.

In addition to fiancé and family-based visas, there are also other types of visas available for immigrants in Michigan, such as employment-based visas and diversity visas. The eligibility requirements and timelines for these visas can vary widely depending on the specific visa category.

While the process of obtaining a fiancé or family-based visa can be complex and time-consuming. It is important to work with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements and navigate the application process successfully. Additionally, it is important to be prepared for long waiting times, as the demand for visas often exceeds the available supply.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around, and we have handled hundreds of cases of immigration. We can help you get your visa and work your way around getting that citizenship that you deserve. Haque Legal is here, and you can find that hiring our law firm is the best kind of experience for you.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation, we tell you everything that you need to know about your immigration case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need at least that guidance from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. Suppose you have concerns about your immigration, and you need a lawyer to handle it. In that case, you can always contact our law firm, and we can talk about your situation and how we can handle it, especially regarding expenses and requirements.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is essential to know that you also have a team that can help you with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to ensuring that the law will protect the innocent and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article you read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and should not be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out.

If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or seek justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

The post <strong>Fiancé and Family Visa in Michigan</strong> appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy