Skip to Content

Changing My Alimony Payments in Michigan


Getting a divorce comes with its own set of rules. As we have already discussed, Michigan is a no-fault divorce state so getting a divorce is not that strict but your life after the divorce is another matter altogether. 

In this article, let us talk about one thing that we all want to get if ever our marriage crumbles – alimony payments and how you can change it. 

Legal Basis

The Legal Basis for changing alimony payments in Michigan can be found in MCL 552.28.

Section 552.28 – Judgment for alimony or allowance or appointment of trustees; revision or alteration

On petition of either party, after a judgment for alimony or other allowance for either party or a child, or after a judgment for the appointment of trustees to receive and hold the property for the use of either party or a child, and subject to section 17, the court may revise and alter the judgment, respecting the amount or payment of the alimony or allowance, and also respecting the appropriation and payment of the principal and income of the property held in trust, and may make any judgment respecting any of the matters that the court might have made in the original action.

Basis for Modification

It is important to keep in mind that the Michigan Supreme Court already finalized the law on modifying alimony payments. It provides that “To modify a spousal support award, the moving party must show that there has been a change of circumstances since the judgment of divorce.” Loutts” Cooper v. Cooper, No. 353409, 2 (Mich. Ct. App. Jan. 6, 2022)

What does a change of circumstances mean? Loutts I, 298 Mich.App. at 31, 826 N.W.2d 152. Rather, MCL 552.23(1), which governs spousal support, favors a case-by-case approach” Loutts v. Loutts, 309 Mich. App. 203, 214 (Mich. Ct. App. 2015). This means that the basics for modification are a change in circumstances, and there is no mention of a change of circumstances.

Therefore, if you want to check out your options for modifying your alimony payments, the next thing that you need to do is to just contact our law firm so we can get started on checking your circumstances.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases on family law, custody battles, and parenting. We can help you fight for your rights and work your way around getting that parenting time that you deserve. Haque Legal is here. You can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation, we tell you everything that you need to know about your divorce or custody case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your divorce or custody case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield family lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

The post <strong>Changing My Alimony Payments in Michigan</strong> appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy