Skip to Content

Facts About the K2 Visa in the United States


The K2 Visa is one of the US immigration visas that are used by parents to petition their children. As we have previously said, the K2 Visa is the visa for unmarried children under 21 years of age of a K1 visa holder who immigrated to the United States. It is a non-immigrant visa that can be used by children. 

Through this visa, the child can enter the United States territory until he is granted an immigration visa. 

As the child acquires his immigrant status through the parent, who is the holder of the K1 visa, this visa is known as the derivative visa.

The eligible children of the K-1 visa holders may apply for K-2 visas based on the approval of Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must list the children on the petition and separate visa applications must be submitted for each K-2 visa applicant, and each applicant must pay the K visa application fee.

With that, what are some facts about the K2 visa that you should know about?

You do not need to automatically leave the United States when it expires

Unlike other visas granted in the United States, K2 visa holders have the special privilege of getting permanent residence. The holders of K2 visas can apply and get permanent residence in the United States after the marriage between the K1 visa holder and the United States citizen is solemnized.

Even if the visa expires, the K2 visa holder can still get permanent residence in the United States through the marriage of their parents.

You can work and study in the United States with a K2 Visa

One of the many perks of the K2 visa in the United States is that the holders of it are allowed to study in the United States. They can also apply for work and get hired in the United States. All that the K2 visa holder must do is to get an I-765 application approved for employment authorization and they will get the authorization once approved. 

For the approval of the I-765, proof of admission is necessary. This includes proof of arrival in the United States and the K2 visa. 

Of course, the catch is that they can only work during the window of 90 days which is the window for the K1 visa holder to get married to a United States citizen. 

After the marriage of the K1 visa holder and the United States citizen, the good thing is that the K2 visa holder can reapply and they can get approved to continue working in the United States. 

There are other things that you should know about getting a K2 visa in the United States and they will be discussed in the next series of articles.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around. We have handled hundreds of cases of immigration. We can help you get your visa and work your way around getting that citizenship that you deserve. Haque Legal is here and you can find that the best kind of experience for you is to hire our law firm.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation, we tell you everything that you need to know about your immigration case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have concerns about your immigration and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out

If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

The post Facts About the K2 Visa in the United States appeared first on Haque Legal.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy