You need to keep in mind that licensing your dogs is required in the State of Michigan. Read on the following legal basis for you to know the laws in the State of Michigan regarding dog bites in the State.
287.266 Dog license, application, issuance; refund of fees; vaccination of dog
Sec. 6. (1) The owner of a dog that is 4 or more months old shall apply to the treasurer of the county or, except as provided in section 14, [FN1] the treasurer of the township or city where the owner resides, or to the treasurer’s authorized agent, for a license for each dog owned or kept by him or her.
(2) Unless the county board of commissioners adopts a resolution under subsection (3), the owner shall apply for a license annually on or before March 1.
(3) The county board of commissioners of a county may adopt a resolution during the 60-day period before the beginning of the county’s fiscal year providing when the owner of a dog that is required to be licensed under subsection (1) must apply for a license. Before adopting the resolution, the county board of commissioners shall obtain the county treasurer’s written approval of the resolution. Subject to subsection (4), the resolution shall provide for 1 of the following:
(a) That the owner apply for a license by March 1 every year or every third year, at the owner’s option.
(b) That the owner apply for a license by June 1 every year.
(c) That the owner apply for a license by June 1 every year or every third year, at the owner’s option.
(d) That the owner apply for a license by the last day of the month of the dog’s current rabies vaccination, every year.
(e) That the owner apply for a license by the last day of the month of the dog’s current rabies vaccination, every third year.
(f) That the owner apply for a license by 1 of the following, at the owner’s option:
(i) The last day of the month of the dog’s current rabies vaccination every year.
(ii) The last day of the month of the dog’s current rabies vaccination, every third year.
(4) A resolution adopted under subsection (3) shall include necessary provisions for conversion to a new licensing schedule. The resolution may extend the effective period of outstanding licenses but shall not shorten the effective period of outstanding licenses or prorate license fees.
(5) The application shall state the breed, sex, age, color, and markings of the dog, and the name and address of the last previous owner. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the application for a license shall be accompanied by a valid certificate of a current vaccination for rabies, with a vaccine licensed by the United States department of agriculture, signed by an accredited veterinarian. The certificate for vaccination for rabies shall state the month and year of expiration for the rabies vaccination, in the veterinarian’s opinion. If the application for a license is submitted electronically, the owner of the dog is not required to provide a valid certificate of a current vaccination for rabies if the dog was licensed the previous year and the dog’s current rabies vaccination on record with the treasurer of the county or, except as provided in section 14, the treasurer of the township or city where the owner resides, or the treasurer’s authorized agent, is still valid. A license shall not be issued under subsection (3)(d), (e), or (f) if the dog’s current rabies vaccination will expire more than 1 month before the date on which that license would expire. When applying for a license, the owner shall pay the license fee provided for in the county budget. The county board of commissioners may set license fees in the county budget at a level sufficient to pay all the county’s expenses of administering this act as it pertains to dogs. For a spayed or neutered dog, the license fee, if any, shall be set lower than the license fee for a dog that is not spayed or neutered. In addition, the license fee may be set higher for a delinquent application than for a timely application.
(6) If a dog is licensed before it becomes 5 months old and is subsequently spayed or neutered before it becomes 7 months old, the owner of the dog may exchange the license for a license for a spayed or neutered dog and receive a refund for the difference in the cost of the licenses. The owner shall exchange the license before the dog becomes 7 months old.
(7) Subsection (6) applies in a county only if the county board of commissioners adopts a resolution to that effect during the 60-day period before the beginning of the county’s fiscal year. Before adopting the resolution, the county board of commissioners shall obtain the county treasurer’s written approval of the resolution.
(8) The owner of a dog that is required to be licensed under this section shall keep the dog currently vaccinated against rabies by an accredited veterinarian with a vaccine licensed by the United States department of agriculture.
Haque Legal Has Your Back
Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation, we tell you everything that you need to know about your case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with the filing of your case.
The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need to at least have that guidance coming from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. If you have a personal injury case and you need a lawyer to handle it you can always contact our law firm and we can talk about your situation and the best way that we can handle it, especially in terms of the expenses.
Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case
If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is essential to know that you also have a team that can help you out with your specific needs.
Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.
The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.
Let us help you out
If you need a lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.
The post <strong>Licensing and Vaccination Laws for Dogs and Dog Bites in Michigan</strong> appeared first on Haque Legal.