Skip to Content

Children Born of Tourists: Are They U.S. Citizens?


Whether a child born to tourists in the United States is a citizen has been debated and confused. The answer to this question is not straightforward, as it depends on several factors, including the immigration status of the parents, the location of the birth, and the laws of the parent’s country of origin.

Birthright Citizenship

Under the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution, anyone born on American soil is a citizen of the United States. This principle, known as “birthright citizenship,” is a fundamental aspect of American law. However, the term “born on American soil” requires clarification in the context of tourists.

If the child’s parents are U.S. citizens, then the child is automatically a citizen, regardless of where the child is born. This principle applies if one parent is a U.S. citizen and the other parent is a legal permanent resident. However, if both parents are tourists, the situation becomes more complicated.

If the child is born in U.S. territories, such as Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, the child is a U.S. citizen. However, the situation becomes more complicated if the child is born on U.S. soil but outside U.S. territory.

Citizenship of Parents

If the parents are in the U.S. on a valid visa at the time of birth, the child is not automatically a U.S. citizen. The child may be eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parents later become permanent residents or citizens or if the child meets other requirements for citizenship, such as living in the U.S. for a certain period.

If the parents are in the U.S. illegally, the child is not automatically a U.S. citizen. The child’s status is tied to the status of the parents. If the parents are deported, the child will likely be deported as well. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

For example, suppose the child’s parents have been in the U.S. for a certain period of time, and the child was born in the U.S. In that case, the child may be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This program allows certain undocumented individuals who were brought to the U.S. as children to remain in the U.S. and work legally. However, the future of DACA is uncertain, and it is unclear if it will continue to be available to children born to tourists in the U.S.

It is worth noting that the U.S. is not the only country that grants birthright citizenship. Over 30 countries worldwide, including Canada and Mexico, also have birthright citizenship laws. However, some countries, such as Australia and the United Kingdom, do not grant automatic citizenship to children born on their soil.

Haque Legal is Here To Help

We have been around, and we have handled hundreds of cases of immigration. We can help you get your visa and work your way around getting that citizenship that you deserve. Haque Legal is here, and you can find that hiring our law firm is the best kind of experience for you.

Here at Haque Legal, we always have your back. Make sure that on your first free consultation, we tell you everything that you need to know about your immigration case as well as the cost and the expenses that would be associated with it.

The consultation is free for the first time because we understand that you need at least that guidance from a reputable law firm and lawyer to assess your case. Suppose you have concerns about your immigration and you need a lawyer to handle it. In that case, you can always contact our law firm, and we can talk about your situation and how we can handle it, especially in terms of expenses.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is important to know that you also have a team that can help you with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to making sure that those who are innocent will be protected by the law and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article that you have read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice, and it is not to be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out.

If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy