Skip to Content

How Can A Fiancé Visa Cancel Your Tourist Visa in the US?

Imagine this: while exploring the Statue of Liberty with your tourist visa in hand, Cupid strikes, and you find yourself falling in love with an attractive American citizen! Get ready for wedding bells to begin ringing!

Now if you decide to pursue the K-1 visa route and relocate with your sweetie in America permanently, your tourist visa won't just disappear; rather it can still serve its original purpose - tourism and temporary visits.

Herein lies the catch - your tourist visa remains valid; however, immigration authorities might take issue if you try entering on just your tourist visa after having filed Form I-129F petition for K-1 status and having your K-1 application either approved or denied; doing so might raise suspicions regarding your intentions and could create sticky situations at borders.

So, what should be my course of action? Well, dear reader, transparency and playing by the rules should always be your aim. Once embarking upon your K-1 visa journey, it would be prudent to stick solely with that route when visiting the US in future visits - meaning no tourist visa should be used on subsequent visits!

Now you've found your true love, and are looking forward to embarking upon marriage? Congratulations! But before diving headfirst into wedding planning, there's the matter of US immigration law to navigate first - specifically, whether applying for a fiance visa may interfere with my tourist visa application process or vice versa. Haque Legal is here to help.

Let's address what many perceive to be an open secret: that obtaining a K-1 visa necessarily ends your chances for tourist status (B-2). Unfortunately, as with all legal issues, there's no straightforward answer when it comes to immigration regulations - each case varies significantly in this respect.

Let's first define each visa:

Tourist Visa (B-2)

This visa allows for short visits to the U.S. for tourism or medical treatment and should generally only be extended for short durations, without giving access to employment opportunities or marriage to U.S. nationals/residents.

Fiancé Visa (K-1)

This visa enables foreign nationals to enter the U.S. for the sole purpose of marrying within 90 days after arrival and then applying to adjust their status to become lawful permanent residents of America.

Now for the legal details: applying for a fiancé visa doesn't automatically invalidate a tourist visa you already possess; both can exist simultaneously provided one fulfills its intention when entering the U.S. If, upon arriving with a tourist visa in hand, with plans of marrying and changing status but failing to disclose this intention during visa application or interview process could land one in hot water with authorities.

Transparency is at the forefront of U.S. immigration law; always be honest when applying for any visa, as failing to do so could result in accusations of visa fraud and subsequent deportation proceedings.

Can I Switch From a Tourist Visa to a Fiancé Visa While in the U.S.?

Unfortunately not. Once entering with a tourist visa in hand, no matter your reason or intention to change status can happen without leaving and applying from outside.

What should you know before entering into a marriage with an American citizen sweetheart? In essence, applying for a fiancé visa from home would ensure a seamless and legal path toward permanent resident status in America.

Remember, dear reader: while love knows no borders, immigration law certainly does. Stay informed, remain honest, and allow the legalities of love and visas to be just another minor obstacle on the path toward marital bliss.

As always, should you find yourself lost in a legal immigration difficulty, don't hesitate to seek professional counsel from an immigration attorney. Haque Legal is here to help!



Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy