Skip to Content

Changing Your Name After Marriage on a K2 Visa in Michigan


Marriage can be an exciting event, yet it often comes with administrative tasks such as changing one’s name after marriage. 

Individuals on K2 visas in Michigan face special procedures when changing their names post-marriage; we will cover these steps here with information to simplify and expedite this process.

Before diving deeper into Michigan’s procedure for name changes, it’s crucial to understand its legal framework surrounding name changes. Michigan courts offer individuals access to changing their names through legal proceedings – this applies to citizens and non-citizens holding K2 visas.

Step One: Acquire an Official Copy of Your Marriage Certificate

The first step to changing your name on a K2 visa in Michigan is obtaining a certified copy of your marriage certificate from where it took place – contact the county clerk’s office in that county where your wedding took place, provide them with all of your pertinent data, and pay any applicable fees to receive one.

Step Two: Modifying Your Social Security Card

Once you have obtained an official copy of the marriage certificate, the second step in updating your Social Security card should also be updating it. Fill out an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) with all supporting documents, including marriage certificate, passport, and proof of immigration status such as K2 visa, before sending these to Social Security Administration office either personally or by mail for processing and issuing new Social Security cards with updated names.

Step 3: Update Your Driver’s License or State ID Card

To update your driver’s license or state identification card to reflect your new name, visit a Secretary of State branch office in Michigan with all of the documents necessary, such as current ID/DL/ID cards/state ID cards with current names on them; certified copies of marriage certificate(s), other required identification documents as required and applicable fees due. Fill out all appropriate forms and pay the fees needed before receiving new ones reflecting your new name.

Step 4: Updating Passport and Immigration Documents

It is imperative to update your passport and immigration documents with your new name. For this step, contact your country’s embassy or consulate in the U.S. to ask about changing it on the passport; additionally, inform US Citizenship and Immigration Services of this change by filing out necessary forms and supporting documents; this will create continuity across records as well as speed up future travel processes and immigration processes.

Let Haque Legal Help You With Your Case

If you require a lawyer who can assist you with ensuring that you protect your rights, it is essential to know that you also have a team that can help you with your specific needs. 

Our law firm is dedicated to ensuring that the law will protect the innocent and that the full extent of justice will be used.


The article you read is based on general applications of the law. It is not legal advice and should not be construed as any legal consultation with the firm. No client-attorney relationship is created when you read the articles we have provided.

Let us help you out.

If you need a Southfield immigration lawyer to help you during your proceedings, call us immediately. If you have any problem with the law or are seeking justice and truth, our numbers are standing by to take your call.

Share To:


Contact Our Legal Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy